Friday, June 12, 2009

And now, just like a pole dancer or a millworker...

I'm down to the daily grind.


Day in and day out, beleaguered reader, I deal with the likes of the sweet boy pictured here. We'll call him Raiden, to protect your innocence.




"Geoffrey Teacher, later today I will sit with my head on the floor and talk to you out of my hind orifice."





Yeah, I was just as surprised as you when he used the word orifice.

Or whatever.

There's a battle raging in that classroom. The Apple classroom. The Apples. We all shudder with fear upon hearing the name. We actually convulse and soil ourselves when we enter the room. I feel impotent, redundant, null as the French would say. I have become the educational equivalent of my student's favorite feature on my neck: a skin tag.


NO, THIS IS NOT MY NECK! This is the anatomical avatar of my career thus far.

I have tried everything within my power to get them to settle down, to listen, to join me in their education.





Some, like the girls here, traipse down the corridors of knowledge and learning with aplomb, their childlike laughter reverberating as they learn a new phrase or use an old phrase in a new way.



A chosen few threaten each other with scissors, clandestinely severing random locks of hair from friends and occasionally doing a worksheet about how many sides a triangle has.

This is as advanced a case of Lord of the Flies Syndrome I have ever seen. Admittedly, there are a couple of kids who may not be able to help it and, due to the that's-just-how-things-are-edness about Korea, parents choose not to believe that anything is wrong with their child. Instead they blame the teachers for their child's inability to sit still without turning themselves into a human washing machine. You just enjoy that mental image.

=


And now: the Spin Cycle

For the few that pills won't help, they're just easily distracted. Noisy kids, whispers, bits of errant string, breathing things or shiny objects: anything and everything can set them off on a course of actions that end in their removal from our little society of knowledge and into the diet coke bottle-riddled confines of the teacher's room.

Sometimes, hindsighted reader, I wish I'd done things differently. Reacted faster, had some kind of brilliant solution, called upon the unbridled power of an impromptu tapdance to reign them in. But the truth is, when it comes to kids, I just don't have any resources. I haven't had to deal with them for ages. And really I had become sort of disenchanted with them in the last 10 years, not having had to deal with them at all.

The point is: today I yelled and almost cried. On Monday we're having an early morning meeting (-sigh-) regarding discipline and behavior given by our fearless leader and a pretty inspiring guy, our principal.

I don't know what to expect or what the outcome will be but...I'm hoping for more tools.

I'm hoping for deliverance.

I'm hoping for cattle prods.

5 comments:

Ninny Beth said...

look at cute little Raiden's Pi-like haircut! How can THAT cute thing give you ANY trouble, Geoffrey????!!!! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

JackieE said...

OH you poor thing! I can't imagine! Brian and I have been helping with nursery and there are at least 4 adults in there at all times. I couldn't handle being all alone with them! I'm praying for you!!! An I dust LAHV you!

Hanh said...

oh my poor kindergarten buddy. everything will work itself out somehow. and those kids look so adorable! SCOOP!

Hilary Butler said...

Oh sweetheart, I feel for you like few can! Strangely, my advice really is a tap dance. You'll be truly amazed at the power it holds to confuse and mesmerize the little hoodlums. Feel free to borrow a few of my favorite mantras - "Stupid punk kids" or "I hate children." There may be a reason that I left teaching...

I love and miss you a lot!!!

Anonymous said...

Have you tried the "Kill KILLLLL!" trick? (See Ms. Burnett for details). On the other hand, you've probably got more tools than a plumber has cheek-- maybe partly a matter of using the right one at the right time? On the other hand, children & diet coke is just a bad combination. On the other hand, I've had days where nothing seems to get through & all you can do is pray somebody's learning something. Like recently one nine year-old "Future Abusers of America" came to me of his own free will a day after acting up & out & all that-- after having one of those desperate "Youhavetwochoicesinlife,GregYoucanmakegoodchoicesbecauseyou'reagoodperson&canmakelifegood.Or youcanmakepoorchoices&makelifebadWhatsitgonnabe?!" moments-- and told me "I"m sorry for not listening to you yesterday Emily." :o Light at the end of the tunnel!